Friday, January 23, 2009

First full day in Saudi

It's here and I am finally here! So far, not in the book of Bin Ladens! But, today at the mall I slapped him on the butt without thinking about it and immediately looked around to see if we had been caught. Then, just as we were about to kiss in line at the grocery store I realized where we were and pulled back, saying, "oh yeah, 'I' could get arrested for that here!" It is so interesting to see all the women covered in black, most with only their eyes showing, some with even those covered. Adam said that everyone was staring at me in the grocery store because of my "blond" hair. I didn't even notice, I don't ever notice when people are looking at me, they usually don't so I don't pay attention.
The airport was interesting. I was standing in the customs line with a ton of single men (there were only men there) and a customs man came over and told me to go over to the much shorter family line :). Over here they don't let single men associate with married, or even single, women. Then, while I was over there they opened another line, total chaos ensued, everyone started yelling and rushing, for maybe the first time in my life I actually felt instinctual fear. It was a feeling I have never felt before, an anxious feeling in my gut, I actually was in fear of my safety. I stood behind an Australian man with his wife that I had met before I boarded the plane. Thankfully I was able to move to the front of another line and was out of the room quickly. I don't think I have ever been with that many disorganized, chaotic men in such a small confined space in my life before. I am sure I was safe, it just felt strange.
Things here are very different. In the restaraunts the families sit and order in a different section than the single men, in fact, their are two different sides of the building all together.The men, unless they want to, wear whatever they want, but the women wear the black abaya. Western women don't have to cover their hair or faces. You can't see the stars here because of all the pollution. The sky is lit with a strange orange glow from the oil fields. It must be 5 am now, the first call to prayer just started. "Call to prayer" is through a loud speaker on the compound, in the buildings and I assume outside. When we were in the mall today they closed all the stores and stopped selling things during prayer. It seemed like they last about a half an hour. Men pronounce the prayers, in arabic, I wish I could understand, I am not sure how many times yet.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! What an experience! Please, please keep posting - I can't wait to keep up with your life over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you have this blog! What a crazy place.

    At first when you said you slapped him on the butt I thought you were still talking about Bin Laden. I was a little confused. Don't worry, though. I understand now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you've come to paradise, but I too have wondered what they pray about. Please be very careful when you are with Adam and not be tempted to be affectionate. Lately in our newspapers a couple were jailed for what is normal in our culture, and it resulted in jail for both.
    I think wearing an obeya would be great - no tight underwear, jut pull the thing over your head and you are dressed. No choices of what to wear, how easy can that get?
    Also, you can be any shape you like, and no-one will notice, therefore self-consciousness would be impossible.
    Another thing that puzzles me, is how to toddlers and kids tell their mothers from others in a crowd? Love your blog. Mum Mattys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I will be very careful in how I behave, and it is nice to know that what I wear underneath doesn't really matter. I have also wondered how the kids tell which mom is theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure! I'm so glad I found you on facebook and am blessed to share this time with you! I hope I learn a lot from your blog!

    ReplyDelete