Sunday, February 8, 2009

Church

We went to church again, my second sabbath now. Once again, the spirit was so strong. I am amazed at how much the people here sacrifice to follow their beliefs and at the strength of their convictions. It is very humbling, and almost ashamed. If they knew how easy it is at home, at least in some places, to worship, to go to the temple, to do the things we take for granted at home. Here, we are so far away, yet, we feel so close. I can't really put it into words, which is a rare feeling for me.

I felt like the lesson in Relief Societ was meant for me, there were only four of us, and all of us are going through the same situation, so I am sure it was meant for all of us, but it is exactly what I needed to hear. We talked about a Conference talk, about living the simple life. I can now see what Thoreau meant when he went to the woods to live life more simply. Life here in Saudi is like that, simple. I know that I am here to learn something, not quite sure what yet, but I know I am supposed to learn at least one thing, how to be strong by living life simply, focusing on the things that really matter in life. Looking back I can see my path, how my life has become less and less simple, and I appreciate Adam more and more for the sacrifice he is making for our family, I just wish I could do more.

But, back to church, I really look forward to Friday's here (that is when we have church). I get to spend the whole day with Adam, and I get to go to church. It really does help prepare me for the week, even though my weeks now are so different than they used to be I am sure I will adjust. So, my new mantra, "Simplify your life." Try it.

1 comment:

  1. Funny. Nathan and I (this is Carley by the way) have had to live a more simple life compared to many. Now we own a home in a neighborhood that is in a middle to upper class neighborhood. It's easy to get caught up in living up to the JOnes here but then I read my scriptures and come back down to earth and realize that life is so much more than things and do this, do that, go here, go there. Still, I know I could simplify myself much more!

    ReplyDelete