Sunday, February 8, 2009

Saudi, how do you see it

When you close your eyes and imagine Saudi Arabia, what do you see? A derest, sand dunes like in the movies, with an oasis here and there, maybe a palm tree or two? Throw in some camels, people in different clothing and you have what I thought I was coming to.

Now, let me tell you what I see outside my window. No sand dunes with sand rippling across the top like the waves on the ocean. The sun isn't blaring hot, at least not yet, and there are more than "a few" trees around the area, and most of them aren't palm trees. I see fields, not filled with green grass but with white sand. Trees, not tall oaks but not scrub oak either, are scattered throughout the landscape. They don't provide shade for the streets, but they do provide shelter and green. The green isn't the bright green of the South or the deep green of the Pacific North-West in the States, it is a more dulled green, alsmost tinged with a touch of tan. Some look like the Russian Olive tree in my parents back yard, but I am not positive.

The houses in the normal streets, not the suburbs where the rich people live, but where normal every day people live, look like the buildings in every third world country I have ever been in. White cement buildings surrounded by tall cement walls of a similar color. The only glimpse inside is through the metal gate, if you are lucky, if not there is a metal door. These houses look exactly like the houses in the Capital of Guatemala, but only rich people lived in houses like that in Guatemala. I look on the news and the houses and buildings here look just like the houses and buildings shown from around the region, and just like those in Guatemala. It must be the cement, box-like, structure.

Those fields I described earlier, are often scattered with young men, playing a version of cricket. Or, maybe sitting on a make-shift bench, all lined up, in their robes, chatting, passing the slow day. There are trails that criss-cross the landscape, men are seen walking together, meandering towards their un-seen destination, a strange contrast to the face-paced highway, they seem complete oblivious to it, to that "lifestyle." I don't see women walking on any of the paths or in any of the fields. I see them in the stores, covered in their black abayas and burkas. I see their children, in similar clothing and always with the most beautiful eyes, deep black, ringed with long, beautiful lashes. A million words can be conveyed with those eyes, all children are the same, and they laugh when I cross my eyes or make a funny face. To them, I am the stranger, the one that doesn't fit in. I can only wonder what they must be thinking, I try to remember what I thought when I was their age, how I reacted to people from another culture. I see no fear, I hope I was the same.

In this world, life moves differently, I can't quite explain it. Everywhere I look I see a different nationality, Saudi's, Pakistani's, Indian's, Filipino's, etc. The area is a draw to people from all over the world, most are men, here alone, working to send money to their families at home. They all work so hard, day in and day out, all trying to escape this economic fiasco that has descended upon our world. The downturn is felt here, and rumors of it are heard and fears of lay-offs are just as real here as they are at home. The few men that Adam and I have met slave away, and I wonder how their lives would change if they were sent home, hat in hand, to a country even more impoverished, no money, no work. So, even here, the failing economy reaches out and clenches us in it's grasp.

Women work here, but usually only in hospitals and schools. Every woman that I have seen working here is from a different country, I don't think I have seen one woman from Saudi working. I don't know if they have to, I'm honestly not sure. That is one thing that I wish I could change, but I don't think will, I would like to meet more Saudi women. I have met women from all over the world, most of them Muslim, but none of them from Saudi. I would like to talk to them about the culture, about life here where we live. If not, it is all just a point of view, like mine, an outsiders point of view.

So, what I see here, yes, I do see a few camels and people in different clothing. But, I don't see the deseret that I saw in Aladdin and in all those movies and TV shows. There is a lot of sand, but it isn't so different than the grass at home, just a different color. It isn't hot, but I have been told that the heat is coming, and when it does it won't be like anything I have ever experienced. Yes, it is different, but still, you would be surprised how much the same.

3 comments:

  1. What a great post! So, do most of the Saudi women stay inside their homes? I hope you become friends with a few - I agree with you that it would be the best way to learn about the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think they stay inside their homes. I do hope I can become friends with a few, that really is the only way to become familiar with the culture, especially since I am not allowed to really talk to the men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote beautifully here. I love the picture you create. I look forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete