Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Accomplishments in the kithen in Saudi

Ok, cooking in Saudi, as in any new country, is a challenge, but I am gradually finding my way. I made some chocolate chip cookies (with a substitute for vanilla extract because it as alcohol in it and they don't sell anything with alcohol in it here). I learned how to make an Arabic Bread called Zahtar Bread, it it a sweet dough with some spices with sesame seed and olive oil spread on top. Today I made flour tortillas, from scratch, they are really really easy! Next I am going to see how well a cake turns out, banana nut bread, peanut-butter cookies and creme caramel. It is hard to find the same spices here, so I have had to make a lot of substitutions. The flour here is a little more coarse, so I am still looking for some cake flour and super fine sugar. I know that they make baked items rise and taste better. I am also going to make a Lebanese sweet called Baklaui (or something like that). It is like Baklava, but with Orange Blossom Water, I have made it before but it is easier to get the ingredients here. Heck, have to find something to do with my time. Oh, and, I am going to make Cinnamon rolls for Adam (not me, can't stand Cinnamon!). If anyone has some fun cookie suggestions let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Are you still alive? I was hoping you would share some the things from your stake conference. Cooking sounds interesting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were always good about stuff like that in Guatemala. Of course I was "green" when I was with you and it felt enough at the time trying to just talk about the gospel let alone trying to understand cooking terms. I wish I could try some of the stuff over there. I like trying new things! Keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete